POSTED: Nov. 14, 2022
As individuals gear up for the vacation season, Clatsop County Public Well being Division is encouraging residents to take steps to keep away from changing into sick from respiratory viruses circulating in Oregon and the USA.
“Proper now, there are three distinguished viruses we’re involved about,” stated Jiancheng Huang, Clatsop County public well being director. “They’re RSV, influenza (the flu) and COVID variants. We proceed monitoring group respiratory virus actions.”
Lisa McClean, public well being nurse supervisor added, “We encourage individuals to take 4 preventive steps.
- “First, keep present with vaccines. Anybody six months or older are inspired to get the annual flu vaccine. In case your youngster has not began their main sequence of the COVID vaccine, we encourage that, too.
- “Second, take care together with your private hygiene. Regularly wash your fingers and canopy your nostril when sneezing and your mouth when coughing.
- “Third, when sick, keep residence. Don’t go to work, faculty, or make a journey.
- “Fourth, in the event you’re feeling sick, put on a masks.”
RSV – Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Pediatric hospitalizations greater than tripled in Oregon between Oct. 29 and Nov. 5 because of RSV. ”RSV is placing a pressure on well being care services and pediatric models in hospitals,” Huang stated.
RSV is quite common and most youngsters expertise an RSV an infection by their second birthday. Most individuals will turn into re-infected with RSV throughout their lifetime. RSV is transmitted by way of respiratory droplets, direct contact and by touching contaminated surfaces.
RSV signs are the identical because the frequent chilly and often gentle. They embody a runny nostril, cough, sneezing, fever and lack of urge for food.
RSV could cause extreme illness in kids below 2 years previous — particularly infants below 6 months previous, older adults and other people with underlying medical circumstances
An RSV vaccine will not be out there and influenza and COVID-19 vaccines don’t shield in opposition to RSV.
In case your youngster has RSV signs:
- If signs are gentle, hold your youngster residence.
- Use over-the-counter drugs to handle fever and ache, reminiscent of acetaminophen or ibuprofen. By no means give aspirin to kids.
- Drink loads of fluids to stop dehydration.
If signs are extreme or shortly worsen, contact a well being care supplier or pediatrician earlier than going to an emergency room. For those who do not need a well being care supplier, name 211 for assist discovering one.
Warning indicators that require fast consideration embody problem respiratory — or respiratory in a short time— and dehydration.
Influenza “the flu”
Though influenza exercise stays comparatively low in Oregon, it’s rising slowly. Statewide take a look at positivity was 2% final week. It’s projected that the positivity price will surpass 5% inside two weeks, which is taken into account a threshold for important influenza circulation.
Oregon is seeing gradual will increase within the proportion of latest Omicron subvariants with mutations of issues, reminiscent of BQ.1 and BQ.1.1. These new subvariants account for lower than 10% of variants circulating in Oregon. The BA.5 nonetheless accounts for about 80%.
COVID-19 transmission is predicted to extend as individuals collect indoors and immunity from vaccination and former infections wanes. An Oregon Well being and Science College forecast predicts that COVID-19 hospitalizations will improve barely and peak by early December.
Though there’s not an RSV vaccine, the influenza and COVID vaccines are broadly out there and efficient. Getting your COVID and flu photographs as quickly as attainable will shield your self and your family members throughout the vacation gatherings. Listed here are three issues you are able to do:
- Step up your private hygiene. Cowl your coughs and sneezes. Clear and disinfect surfaces which can be usually touched, reminiscent of doorknobs and digital gadgets. Wash your fingers commonly for at the very least 20 seconds.
- Masks indoors when with individuals from outdoors households, particularly these at elevated threat of extreme sickness. Additionally, put on a masks in crowded indoor settings, particularly in the event you or somebody in your house is at excessive threat for extreme illness.
- Look out for younger kids. Present further safety to kids below 2 years who’re unable to masks— specifically these below 6 months— by asking guests to put on a masks.
For extra data or to schedule a vaccine appointment, contact Clatsop County Public Well being Division at 503-325-8500.